A ‘no machines’ recipe, not only a treat for breakfast but also a convenient superfood snack. This cereal is divinely chocolatey. It will keep your kids going all morning and the hunger at bay.
30 min prep.
- 3 C buckwheat, activated and dried
- 1 C cacao nibs
- 1 C raisins
- 1 C cacao paste (240 g solid mass)
- 2 C cacao butter (480 g solid butter)
- 1/2 C lucuma powder
- 1 C coconut sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- Put the buckwheat, nibs and raisins in the freezer before you start melting the cacao.
- 1 Melt the cacao butter and cacao paste together, using a double boiler or bain-marie with warm water.
- 1 Add the lucuma, coconut sugar and salt, and gently whisk until everything is well mixed.
- 1 Remove from the heat.
- 1 Mix in the cool buckwheat, raisins and nibs.
- 1 Stir continuously.
- 1 As everything cools down, the whole mixture will start to thicken.
- 1 At this point, and working very quickly with your hands, crumble the coated mixture onto any trays (we use our dryer trays with the solid sheets). The cereal will now set at room temperature but you can chill it in the fridge or freezer for about 15 minutes to speed up the process. Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place, maybe in the fridge over summer. Fills a 3-litre jar.
ADD IN: Cacao is always the best place to hide greens, so you can add in green powder, kelp and spirulina without changing the taste too much. You can also add nuts or other dried fruit, just keep your total dry ingredients to around 5 cups.
VARIATION: You can use cacao powder instead of the paste, just increase the butter by a 1/4 C.